It is always a good idea to have a backup of breakfast items that you can quickly heat up as you head out the door. These Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burritos are easy to make little packets to help make your morning routine easier. It will take only a few minutes to make several of these breakfast burritos and can be stored in individual baggies and refrigerated or frozen to have on hand for breakfasts.
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burritos
CHEF TALK: The package of flour tortillas that I buy has 8 tortillas (labelled medium size and measuring between 6 – 7 inches in diameter). The recipe below will make 8 breakfast burritos. Follow the assembly of the burritos in the step-by-step photographs following the recipe.
Yield: 8 small breakfast burritos
For the Scrambled Eggs:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or light cream (about 60 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped green onion, optional
For Breakfast Burrito Assembly:
- 8 whole wheat or white flour tortillas (6 – 7 inch), room temperature (leave them in their storage bag to prevent drying out)
- 8 breakfast sausage, cooked (See CHEF TIP below)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese (or as needed)
- Mayonnaise, as required
- For the Scrambled Eggs: In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper (green onion, if using).
- Preheat a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a drop of oil or butter (or both).
- Pour in the egg mixture and immediately reduce the heat to medium-low. Using a spatula, gently move it across the bottom and sides of frying pan to form large, soft curds.
- The eggs are done when they are softly set and fluffy and there is no uncooked liquid remaining in the frying pan. The scrambled eggs will be set but not dry. This will only take a few minutes. Remove from the heat to cool slightly in the pan while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
- For Assembly of the Breakfast Burritos: Place the flour tortillas in a single layer on a cutting board or countertop with the rest of the ingredients close at hand to begin assembly of the burritos. (Follow the step by step photos below the recipe). CHEF TIP: Tortillas will dry out easily so to prevent this when constructing, use a damp cloth to cover the tortillas to maintain freshness.
- Drizzle a little mayonnaise onto the middle of each tortilla.
- On each flour tortilla, place the following ingredients as shown in the photograph: one scoop of scrambled eggs; one cooked sausage; 1 – 2 Tablespoons of shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bring one edge of the tortilla over the ingredients; then each side of the tortilla over the first fold. Now, flip the package over the last edge so that the folds are now underneath the burrito. Repeat with the remaining Breakfast Burritos. CHEF TIP: Smear a little mayonnaise under the last fold of the tortilla to help adhere the tortilla edges together.
- Preheat a frying pan over low to medium heat. Place a little oil or butter (or both) in the frying pan and place the burritos fold side down into the frying pan. Brown slowly to a golden brown, flip the burrito over and brown on the other side. Cool for a few minutes before cutting in half to serve.
- TO SERVE: Serve immediately or refrigerate and reheat when required. For longer storage, freeze the breakfast burritos in small sealing bags and rewarm them in the microwave.
CHEF TIP: For an easy way to cook the sausage, place the amount required (or bulk amounts) on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast at 350°F, periodically shifting the sausage to ensure a golden colour all around (approximately 20 minutes). Use immediately or refrigerate to reheat as needed. For longer storage, freeze the pre-cooked sausage in airtight containers.
How to assemble the Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burrito:
Please CLICK the link above to access my Urb’n’Spice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Parchment Paper
You Might Also Enjoy:
The Ultimate Breakfast Pastry – Bostock
Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffeecake
Whole Grain Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Mini Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
If you try my recipe for Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burritos, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
The Urb’n’Spice Chef
Follow me on Social Media
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you Make my Recipe?
Tag me @urbnspice on Instagram and hashtag #urbnspice