Caramelized Mushroom Tart
Inspiration of UrbnSpice Series
I enjoy appetizer and small plates (what we like to call ‘tasties’) casual type of dining. Using puff pastry is a quick and easy way to make this Caramelized Mushroom Tart appetizer. One of my favourite variety of mushrooms is crimini mushrooms. Their dense, dry texture make them the perfect mushroom for caramelizing. What better way to celebrate Canada 150 than making this delicious tart with Canadian grown mushrooms.
Caramelized Mushroom Tart
- 1 package (2 sheets frozen prepared puff pastry (each 10″ x 10″), thawed in the refrigerator overnight.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (egg wash)
- 200 g (about 12 medium) Canadian Crimini Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz. Cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, thyme leaves, basil or any mixture of fresh herbs, minced
- 1/2 of a Red bell pepper, diced 1/4 inch pieces
- Bocconcini Pearls, drained, as required
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- For the Puff Pastry Tart Shell: Unwrap the puff pastry sheets and roll them to smooth them out as they are already the proper thickness. The puff pastry sheets that I used were each 10″ by 10″. Place each onto parchment lined baking sheets. Prick the pastry all over with a fork so that it will lay flat and not puff up.
- Brush the pastry around the outside edges with egg wash. Refrigerate while you are preparing the cream cheese filling.
- For the Caramelized Mushrooms: Preheat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, pressing them into a single layer in order to caramelize them (about 3 – 5 minutes).
- Add the minced garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- For the Cream Cheese Filling: Combine the cream cheese together with the Greek yogurt and the minced fresh herbs.
- Spread the cream cheese filling onto the puff pastry leaving a one inch border all around the puff pastry.
- Sprinkle the caramelized mushrooms and diced red pepper on each the two tart shells.
- Top the tart shell with the bocconcini pearls as required to fill the spaces in between the mushrooms and diced pepper.
- Sprinkle the tart shell with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden and flaky and the topping is bubbly.
- Let the tart rest for a minute or two before cutting. Serve in small pieces as an appetizer or cut into larger pieces and serve as a snack. Enjoy this tart hot or at room temperature.
I know that you will enjoy this tasty, easy Caramelized Mushroom Tart on Canada Day or any other occasion.
Caramelized Mushroom Tart:
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Oven Temperature Accuracy
More appetizers like this from UrbnSpice:
Stay tuned for an Enoki Mushroom Appetizer
Find out more about Canadian Mushrooms: Mushrooms Canada
If you give this recipe for Caramelized Mushroom Tart a try, please leave me a comment below with your feedback.
You can find me on social media (see links below) – just be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I am sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urbnspice Chef
Follow me on Social Media:
Urbnspice Facebook Page – If you like what you see here, please LIKE my page. I would love that – thank you!
Urbnspice is on Twitter
You will find lots of fun boards on Pinterest
I am also on Instagram