The Confident Kitchen Series
We have experienced typical March weather – in like a lion and out like a lamb. On one particular day this month, on a short drive home after a grocery outing, the weather patterns provided a complete flip-flop ranging from sun, rain, sleet, snow, slush, wind, and then rain again. My drive home ended with a beautiful rainbow. It was definitely an awe-inspiring moment. As beautiful as this scene was, the chill in the air made me long for something comforting and warm. No question that a hearty soup was in order – Home Welcoming Hearty Black Bean Soup.
This is a soup that is easily and quickly made using common pantry ingredients. It tastes even better the next day and it also freezes well. If you have never used cumin before, I encourage you to try this recipe. Cumin has a distinct fragrance and gives this soup its smoky earthy flavour. Cooking the cumin, paprika and cayenne first in the oil/vegetable mixture releases the spice oils and heightens the flavours of the soup. This recipe for Home Welcoming Hearty Black Bean Soup recipe with Fresh Tomato Herb Salsa is one of my favourites and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Serve with chunks of good hearty bread and Cheddar Cheese.
HEARTY BLACK BEAN SOUP
CHEF TALK: The recipe below was adapted from the Heart and Stroke Foundation cookbook, and is the healthy contribution to this month’s article. It is suitable for all dietary restrictions, including diabetic, gluten-free, grain free and dairy free, if you omit the yogurt swirl garnish.
HEARTY BLACK BEAN SOUP
Yield: 8 – 10 hearty servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (10 ml)
- 1 onion, medium to large size, diced ¼ inch
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups of chicken stock (2 Litres), low sodium, bought or home-made
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 ml each) black beans
- Optional: ½ to 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, drain and rinse the beans in a colander and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over low to medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the chopped onion. Cook gently until the onions become soft and fragrant.
- Add the garlic at this point and stir for a minute or so.
- Stir in the cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper and allow to “cook out” slowly for a few minutes in order for the oils of the spices to be released.
- Add the stock and jalapeno pepper, if using. Add the reserved beans.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it is smooth.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve piping hot with a swirl of yogurt on top.
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
You Might Also Like These Urbnspice Soups:
A Super Soup Day – Pork and Lentil Soup with Avocado and Tomato Garnish
As always, if you give this recipe for Home Welcoming Hearty Black Bean Soup with Fresh Tomato Herb Salsa a try, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can find me on social media – just be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urbnspice Chef
Follow me on Social Media:
Urbnspice Facebook Page (If you like what you see here, please LIKE my page)
Urbnspice is on Twitter
You will find lots of fun boards on Pinterest
I am also on Instagram