I am a lucky, lucky chef to have my Mom’s Vintage Family Bean Pot handed down to me. The beans just taste better made in this good old bean pot! The recipe that I am sharing with you for Good Old Fashioned Baked Beans is an easy dish to throw together. It can slow cook all day on a Sunday afternoon and you will be rewarded with a rich and fragrant comfort dish.
It has a worn and rustic patina on the outer surface and is wonderfully seasoned from decades of use. The fragrance filling my kitchen was so inviting that we could hardly wait to dig in.
Good Old Fashioned Baked Beans
Bacon ½ lb., sliced into “lardons”
Onion, diced One large or two medium
Garlic, minced 4 cloves
Ketchup or salsa 1/2 cup
Barbeque Sauce 1 cup
Bay leaves 2 leaves
Beer 1 cup
Dry Mustard 2 Tbsp.
Mustard, whole grain 2 Tbsp.
Brown sugar ¼ cup
Maple Syrup ¼ cup
Molasses ¼ cup
Worcestershire Sauce 1 Tbsp.
Tabasco sauce 3 dashes
Apple Cider vinegar ¼ cup
Water (or other liquid) As necessary
Salt 1 tsp.
Pepper, ground 1 tsp.
Beans, rinsed well 4 cans (19 oz.) navy beans or bean medley
- Preheat your oven to 350oF (320oF for convection ovens)
- In a large ovenproof pot, fry the bacon until crispy. Set aside.
- Drain all but 1 Tbsp. of bacon fat. Place the diced onion into the pot and soften until translucent and fragrant. Add minced garlic, and cook a little longer, stirring. (By now, your kitchen will smell wonderful – bacon and onion – as Emeril Lagasse would exclaim – “you’re playing with my emotions”!).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (don’t forget the bacon!) into the pot and stir the mixture well.
- Cover the pot and place into the oven.
- Bake for one hour or until bubbly hot. Serve with fresh biscuits and a green salad
Yield: Enough to feed 8 – 10 people.
- Check after 45 minutes to see if beans need additional liquid: i.e.: the remainder of the beer in the can; or, broth, red wine, water, etc.
- Beans freeze well. Store overnight before freezing for optimum flavour.
- This recipe works very well in a crockpot. Starting from step 4, place all ingredients into crockpot instead of the oven, cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours.
See Post: The Vintage Family Bean Pot
You Might Also Enjoy:
Pan Roasted Duck Breasts with Orange Vanilla Glaze
If you try my recipe for Good Old Fashioned Baked Beans, please leave me a comment below with your feedback.
You can find me on social media (see links below) – just be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I am sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urb’n’Spice Chef
Follow me on Social Media