The Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars
The very reason that these Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars were created was due entirely to another recipe I was updating for Nut Butter and No Nut Butter Cookies. I had been experiment making Sunflower Seed Butter – let’s just say that resulted in an interesting reaction. You can read my Funny Sunflower seed butter story in this post.
The moral of the story is: good things happen to those who are determined. I was very pleased in the outcome with my recipe for Sunflower Butter and also my bonus sunflower butter crumbles that resulted from trial and repeat. In addition to these Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars, stay tuned for Coconut Orange Pudding with Sunflower Butter Crumble garnish – another Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Egg free, Nut free and Refined Sugar Free dessert.
These Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars are good! I really like the way the coconut looks in the profile of the bars when you cut them. The tiny jewels of golden raisins and cranberries are lovely, too. These healthy bars passed the kiddie taste test happily and with a big thumbs up. Give them a try, with or without the sunflower butter crumble!
The Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars
CHEF TALK: A healthy breakfast or snack bar that the kids can take in their school lunches since they are nut-free. It checks off all of the allergen markers: It is Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Nut & Refined Sugar Free. To make a grain free version, substitute the 1/2 cup of gluten free flour for 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1/4 cup almond flour (if you have to be careful of nuts, substitute the almond flour for 1/4 cup sunflower seed flour which can be easily made by pulsing roasted sunflower seeds in a food processor just until a fine powder develops). Change up with dried fruit, if you want. Sometimes, I even add protein powder to the mixture. The variations are endless.
Yield: about 24 breakfast bars or 32 snack sized bars
Equipment: 1 pan 9 x 13 or 1 pan 9 x 9″
Baking Time: 9″ x 13″ pan = 20 minutes; 9″ x 9″ = 25 – 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (see options in CHEF TALK above)
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup crushed sunflower seeds
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup protein powder, unflavoured (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- ½ cup sunflower butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg (optional)
- Topping: Sunflower seeds, crushed Sunflower Butter Crumble, optional
- Place all of the ingredients, except for the sunflower butter, coconut butter, vanilla extract and applesauce into a mixing bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients
- Combine the sunflower butter, coconut butter, vanilla extract and the applesauce and mix well to incorporate. The batter mixture will be quite moist (similar to a muffin batter).
- Pour the mixture into a parchment lined baking pan.CHEF TIP: spray or grease the pan first then place the parchment into the pan to keep it in place. Spread the mixture with a knife or spatula to level it out in the pan.
- Sprinkle liberally with crushed sunflower seeds or the optional sunflower butter crumbles.
- Bake at 350º F in a conventional oven (or 325º F in a convection oven) for 20 minutes for 9 x 13″ pan or 25-30 minutes for 9 x 9″ pan or until the center of the pan springs back when lightly touched in the center of the pan or a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
Cut into small bars and serve for breakfast with fruit or wrap for snacks.
These bars freeze very well. Wrap the bars individually and keep them in the freezer ready for the rush of lunch assembly in the mornings.
Makes about 24 delicious breakfast bars
VARIATION: For a change, bake the batter in mini muffin tins. Sprinkle with crushed sunflower seeds or sunflower butter crumbles. Bake at 35oºF until a toothpick inserted into the center of the mini muffin comes out clean (about 7 minutes with my particular mini muffin tins). Do not over bake the mini muffins. Enjoy now or freeze for later.
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Gluten Free Flour Blends
- Vanilla Bean Extract
In the famous words of William Edward Hickson,
“if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again”
You Might Also Like:
Nut Butter and No Nut Butter Cookies (where you will also learn how to make your own Sunflower Seed Butter)
As always, if you give these Ultimate Sunflower Butter Breakfast Bars a try, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can find me on social media too. Be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I am sure to see it. Enjoy!
The UrbnSpice Chef
Follow me on Social Media:
Urbnspice Facebook Page – if you like what you see here, please LIKE my Facebook Page – I would love that. Thank you!
Urbnspice is on Twitter
You will find lots of fun boards on Pinterest
I am also on Instagram