If your guest list this holiday season has you hesitant to face gluten-free or dairy-free restrictions, this gluten-free Sausage & Potato Stuffing is the perfect side dish for you. As it happens, my guest list this year includes gluten-free, dairy-free and grain free restrictions, so I can definitely relate.
This is a no-fret recipe. It has all of the traditional ingredients of a classic stuffing without the bread and includes aromatic vegetables, rich chicken stock, a splash or two of white wine, flavourful sausage and crispy bacon. I can guarantee that after you taste this Potato “No Bread” Gluten Free Stuffing, you will want it to be part of your family holiday favourites.
Sausage & Potato Stuffing
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
CHEF TALK: This gluten-free, make-ahead dish, is sure to become one of your go-to side dishes. It is delicious served with a ham or turkey dinner or for any occasion.
- 1 lb mixed nugget potatoes
- 1/2 lb (226 g) of pork or breakfast sausage (I used gluten-free Bratwurst), removed from casings
- 2 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced finely
- 1 stalk celery, diced finely
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried summer savoury
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Pierce the potatoes once or twice with a skewer and place them on a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave for five minutes and remove from the microwave. Cool for a few minutes until they are easy to handle. (You can prepare these ahead).
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, quarter them or dice them into small pieces as shown in the photographs. Set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, fry the sausage meat, breaking it up into small crumbles, until it is caramelized.
CHEF TIP: This process of caramelizing adds flavour to the stuffing. Remove the cooked sausage meat from the frying pan and set aside.
- Now add the diced bacon to the same fry pan and cook the bacon until it is brown and crispy.
- Add the diced onion and stir together until the onion is starting to turn colour.
- Add the diced carrot, celery and bell pepper and stir until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the minced garlic and stir to cook for a minute or two.
- Add the herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the white wine and cook until the wine evaporates – about one minute.
- Return the sausage to the pan and stir in the cooked diced potatoes.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and then add the chicken stock.
- If you want to make this dish ahead, take the frying pan off of the heat and let it cool before you cover and refrigerate until you are ready to reheat at 325oF for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If you wish to serve this dish right away, simmer for a few minutes until the chicken stock is absorbed by the vegetables and potatoes. Check and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Keep the stuffing warm.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Here is your visual step-by-step How to Make Sausage & Potato Gluten Free Stuffing:
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
Bonus Learning Tip Post:
- Gluten-Free Tips and Techniques
Happy Gluten-Free Cooking, everyone!
As always, if you give this recipe for Sausage & Potato “No Bread” Stuffing – Gluten Free a try, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can find me on social media – just be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urbnspice Chef
Follow me on Social Media:
Urbnspice Facebook Page (If you like what you see here, please LIKE my page)
Urbnspice is on Twitter
You will find lots of fun boards on Pinterest
I am also on Instagram
You Might Also Enjoy These UrbnSpice Posts:
Potato Nutritional Information: Potatoes are healthy!