This recipe for Mini Sized Smashed Potato Pizzas is Grey Cup Party food at its best! It is quick and easy to put together, but more importantly, delicious! They are little pizzas made in a handheld form. Make lots – your guests will be clamouring for more.
I was involved in a food challenge a few years ago that wanted us to develop original recipes for the Little Potato Company. On my blog, you will find the results of my creativity including a family-sized version of Smashed Potato Pizza, as well as Sausage and Potato Stuffing, Bacon Cheese Potato Cups and Potato Crusted Quiche (all gluten-free recipes). I have re-invented the Smashed Potato Pizza and made it into small appetizer sized pizzas. These Mini Sized Smashed Potato Pizzas have the crispy edges that are so appealing and flavourful. Toppings are kept simple given the well-seasoned smashed potato base; sliced grape tomatoes, chiffonade of basil, sliced green onion, mozzarella and bocconcini cheese, and crispy bacon bits. Don’t forget to serve the Mini Sized Smashed Potato Pizzas with Dressed Up Sour Cream.
Mini Sized Smashed Potato Pizzas
Yield: 10 – 12 mini pizzas
For The ‘Crust’:
- 1 lb. nugget (small) potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika, sweet or smoked (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pearl bocconcini cheese
- 1 – 2 green onion (scallion), finely sliced
- 6 – 8 small grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 2 – 3 rashers of bacon, diced and cooked until crispy
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- In the meantime, prepare the baking pan by placing a sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet. (If necessary, spray the baking sheet lightly with pan spray so that the paper adheres to the pan.)
- Drizzle with a little of the olive oil onto the parchment paper and then sprinkle the parchment with salt, pepper and paprika. (NOTE: What you are doing here is essentially seasoning the underside of the ‘crust’).
- Prepare the potatoes: Pierce the potatoes once or twice and place them in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for five minutes.
- Working with two potatoes at a time, while the potatoes are still hot, place the potatoes on a cutting board and flatten both of them with a meat mallet or similar utensil by pressing down firmly. Form the ‘smashed’ potatoes into a small circle. The mini pizza bases will be approximately 5 inches in diameter.
- With a spatula or lifter, transfer the mini pizza base to the seasoned parchment paper. Drizzle the top of the ‘mini pizza crusts’ with additional olive oil, salt, pepper. Repeat until you use up all of the potatoes. There should be six mini pizzas per baking pan (10 – 12 mini pizzas in total).
- Place the pan into the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the edges are starting to turn golden in colour.
- Remove the crusts from the oven and place on a heatproof surface while you add the toppings of your choice from the suggestions above or feel free to add your own favourites.
- Place the pizza back in the oven and roast for a further 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove the mini pizzas from the oven. Place the mini pizzas on a serving platter.
- Garnish with basil chiffonade. Serve with Sour Cream and enjoy!
Mini-Sized Smashed Potato Pizzas are easy to make:
Start with 1 lb. of nugget potatoes. Microwave for five minutes.
You Might Also Enjoy these Urb’n’Spice Appetizers: