In Urbnspice’s most recent “What is It Series?” post, readers were asked to identify this photo. The What is It Series is a fun activity where I post a random pic and ask readers what they think it might be. This was a tricky one and no one guessed what it actually is – it is Lemon Cucumber. Lemon Cucumbers are heirloom cucumbers.
Did you guess? Some of the responses were great: potato; pineapple; and even cake pops. The answer is LEMON CUCUMBER. It is also sometimes called, “apple cucumber.” See the photo below to get a complete view:
About LEMON CUCUMBER:
These unique heirloom cucumbers are now starting to appear in grocery stores, and if you have not had the opportunity to taste one, I would recommend you give it a try.
Because of its appealing shape, size and colour, lemon cucumber would have been one of the vegetables or fruits that my daughters would have chosen when we went on our market adventures when they were young. (See Have you ever wondered about? )
Lemon cucumbers are very mild in flavour; not at all bitter like other varieties of cucumber sometimes tend to be. They are typically eaten raw, unpeeled, and they can be pickled easily. They have a firm, crisp texture and fresh taste. Use them cubed or sliced in any number of ways.
Today’s recipe is similar to a Nicoise Salad, a heartier supper salad. Since I wanted to feature the lemon cucumber, I have used ingredients that would enhance the flavour and texture of this unique vegetable. I know that you will enjoy it!
LEMON CUCUMBER HEARTY SUPPER SALAD
CHEF TALK: This is a hearty salad, which you can eat immediately upon assembly or make ahead and chill for later. It is excellent for potlucks or picnics, and even better the next day. You can adapt the recipe as you like by adding boiled eggs, chopped dill pickle or parsley.
- 1 Lemon Cucumber, washed and cubed into 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 lb (225 g) New Potatoes, washed, unpeeled, steamed or roasted, diced into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 cans Albacore tuna, broken into coarse pieces
- 2 – 4 Compari tomatoes, cut into 8 or 8 – 10 grape tomatoes, halved
- Corn from 1 – 2 cobs, cooked, niblets removed from stalk or 1 can corn, drained
- 2 – 3 oz. Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 – 2 green onions (scallions), sliced on a diagonal into thin slices
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped coarsely
- 1 – 2 tablespoon Fresh herbs of choice: dill, tarragon, chives, thyme, marjoram, chopped finely
- Lemon zest from one lemon (reserve the juice from the lemon to use if required for added moisture)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup mayonnaise (start with 1/4 cup. Add more if necessary to coat the salad)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the diced lemon cucumber and potatoes, chunks of tuna and tomato pieces, corn niblets, feta cheese, green onions, parsley and herbs into a large bowl.
2. Blend the lemon zest, mayonnaise and salt and pepper together and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss gently to coat. Enjoy!
You Might Also Enjoy:
Another Hearty Supper Salad: Roasted Potato Salad with Crispy Bacon & Chives
Orange Glazed Roasted Salmon with Orange Fennel Salad
What is It? Lemon Cucumber
You can find me on social media (see links below) – just be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I am sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urbnspice Chef
Follow me on Social Media
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram