Food memories provide a vivid sense of fragrances and tastes as well as a clear reminder of the people that we shared them with. I was reminiscing about my Mom the other day. She had a very special gift that involved remembering every visitor’s favourite foods whenever they came over. For example, when Mom received a telephone call from my cousin that she was coming to see her, Mom would busy herself in the kitchen preparing a batch of her favourite coconut tarts. The aromas of the freshly baked tarts filled our home upon her arrival.
My daughters have wonderful food memories of when they visited their grandmother. Mom would always make their favourite – Waldorf Salad. They remember the diced sweet red apple and crunchy celery in a creamy dressing, combined with thinly sliced red grapes and fragrant walnuts that the girls helped crack open with what they considered fascinating tools.
Waldorf Salad has been a family favourite for generations ever since it was first invented by the maître d’ of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York City in 1896. You will love the simplicity, flavours and textures of this refreshing salad. I am confident that this easy-to-make tasty and nutritious salad with accessible ingredients will become your family favourite too!
How to Make the Best Waldorf Salad
CHEF TALK: Use a crisp, sweet red apple for this salad, such as Fuji, Gala or Honey Crisp. The red skin from the diced apple is attractive in this salad, although you can also peel the apple, if you wish. I like to use Greek yogurt together with mayonnaise to balance the richness of the dressing. Walnuts are typically used in this classic salad; however, our family has a preference for pecans. Use whichever nut you wish – just make sure that they are toasted for optimum flavour. This salad is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and grain-free. For a nut-free salad, omit the nuts.
Yield: 4 servings
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 2 – 3 apples (see Chef Talk above for suggestions), peeled or unpeeled, core removed and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced into thin slices
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted and left whole or coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dark or golden raisins, optional
- Iceberg Lettuce or Boston Lettuce, whole leaves, washed and dried
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, and seasoning.
- In a medium bowl, place the diced apple, sliced celery and grapes, walnuts and raisins, reserving a few of each for garnish after the dressing has been added.
- Stir the dressing into the ingredients above and toss gently to combine.
- Serve the Waldorf Salad on a bed of fresh Iceberg or Boston lettuce. Garnish with reserved diced apple, sliced celery, sliced grapes, walnuts or pecans and raisins.
- Refrigerate until serving. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Please CLICK the link above to access my Urb’n’Spice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Favourite Kitchen Tools: Spatula
If you liked this Waldorf Salad recipe, you will love these, too!
If you try How To Make the Best Waldorf Salad, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
The Urb’n’Spice Chef
Follow me on Social Media
Did you Make my Recipe?