Everyone needs a dish that can be put together quickly from handy pre-made products. This tortellini pasta dish can be pulled together with a few pantry items and be on the table in less than one hour. This comfort food dish takes just a few minutes to mix together and 30 minutes to bake. The result is a bubbling and tasty dish that the family will love. The leftovers are even better the next day and ideal in school lunches. It is also a great dish for potlucks and can feed a large crowd of hungry people.
Easy Baked 4-Cheese Tortellini with Crispy Crumb Topping
CHEF TALK: Sometimes, even a busy chef needs a quick and easy dish like this Easy Baked 4-Cheese Tortellini recipe with Crispy Crumb Topping. When my daughters played soccer six days a week, dishes like this were just the ticket for our busy household. Serve with a delicious fresh salad and dinner is served!
Yield: 10 – 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (700 g) package 4-cheese tortellini (Ricotta, Mozzarella, Asiago, Romano)
- 1 (500 g) container of ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 can (398 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 can (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup Panko Crumbs
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350oF/180oC.
- In a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat, add oil. Add the onion and cook, while stirring, until the onion is translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Place this mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook the tortellini for a few minutes less than the package indicates.
CHEF TIP: To allow for further cooking in a baked pasta dish, par-cooking the pasta is advisable, otherwise it will be mushy and overcooked once baked. For example, the package that I used for this dish indicated 6 – 8 minutes, so I cooked the pasta for 4 minutes).
Drain the pasta and add it to the same large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl with the pasta/onion/garlic mixture. Mix to combine the ingredients thoroughly, but gently. Remember, the tortellini will be a bit delicate.
- Place the mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Make the Crispy Crumb Topping: Add the melted butter to the panko crumbs, shredded Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine. Prior to baking, sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly on top of the tortellini pasta mixture.
- Bake the pasta dish in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the pasta is bubbling hot and the topping is golden brown. Serve with a salad and enjoy!
- Prepare the pasta dish up to and including Step 6. Cover and refrigerate. When you are ready to bake, place the pasta dish in a preheated oven and bake for approximately one hour, or until the mixture is hot throughout the pan and bubbling, and the topping is golden brown.
What Else Can I Do With This Recipe?
- Bake One/Freeze One: Prepare as above, except place the mixture into two 9-inch pans instead of a 13 x 9-inch pan. Bake one for dinner. Cover and freeze the second pan. When you are ready to use: thaw the pasta dish in the refrigerator overnight and bake as above.
You Might Also Enjoy These Urb’n’Spice Pasta dishes:
Please CLICK the link above to access my Urb’n’Spice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Oven Temperature Accuracy
If you try my recipe for Easy Baked 4-Cheese Tortellini with Crispy Crumb Topping, please leave me a comment below with your feedback. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
The Urb’n’Spice Chef
Follow me on Social Media
Did you Make my Recipe?