Do you have a repertoire of appetizers that you make for every small plates occasion or one that friends and family ask you to make for SuperBowl parties and TGIF events? This recipe for Bacon Cheese Potato Cups is one of those appetizers that seems to fit that bill, suits every occasion and is just darned delicious. This particular appetizer was probably the hands-down favourite in my Appetizer classes.
The appetizer class is a hands-on lively three-hour jam-packed course where we make an entire sample menu of appetizers. Typically, we then debrief with a glass of wine and enjoy the feast together at the end of the class. These Bacon Cheese Potato Cup appetizers never, ever made it to the table at the end of the class. We hovered over the baking sheet as they came out of the oven and demolished them in seconds. Luckily, I took a photo or two before they disappeared.
Bacon Cheese Potato Cups are super easy to make and do not require any obscure ingredients. The trick is finding the perfect size potato – these potatoes fit in the palm of my hand, so small but not as small as nugget size. The reason is you will be working with half of a potato for each potato cup with the intention of a two or three bite appetizer.
BACON CHEESE POTATO CUPS
CHEF TALK: These roasted potato cups are delicious appetizers that are easily made ahead of time. Serve them with sour cream and a sprinkle of sliced green onion. Try the Dressed Up Sour Cream topping recipe below.
Yield: Makes several – resist the urge to eat them before your guests arrive!
For the Potato Cups:
- 1 lb. small whole russet potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
For the Potato Appetizer Filling:
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted (try browning the butter first for extra flavour)
- 1 – 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 oz. Cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons crispy bacon bits
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375oF
- Wash and dry the potatoes and cut them in half, widthwise. Cut off a bit off the bottom so that they can stand up on their own like little barrels. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle them with sea salt.
- Then, place them, narrow end down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (the potatoes are standing upright)
- Bake them until they are cooked through (depending on their size, this takes about 40 minutes)
- Cool slightly before you scoop out the centre of the potatoes and place this in a bowl. Mash them up a bit coarsely, but not too much. These appetizers are rustic.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Shred the cheese and thinly slice the green onion. Add these to the scooped out potato mixture. Add the melted butter, some of the bacon bits and season to taste.
- Stir all of the ingredients together and place back into the potato cups.
- Top with more bacon bits and a little more cheese. MAKE AHEAD: You can refrigerate the prepared potatoes at this point if you are making them ahead of your event.
- When you are ready, bake the potato cups for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with a little more green onion.
- Serve warm with tzatziki or some Dressed Up Sour Cream (recipe below) if desired.
Don’t these Bacon Cheese Potato Cups hot from the oven look wonderfully delicious? Trust me, they are addictive. And really, isn’t that what it is all about?
Dressed Up Sour Cream
CHEF TALK: I make this sour cream recipe at any time of the year. If I have fresh herbs in my garden, I use those, of course. If fresh is not available, dried herbs and spices are also delicious. Choose from the options below.
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream (Greek Yogurt works well too)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 Tablespoon finely sliced green onion or 2 teaspoons chopped chives or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped finely
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, finely shredded or 1/2 teaspoon dried, optional
- a drop or two of hot sauce, optional
- Combine the ingredients for Dressed Up Sour Cream, including any of the options you choose. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve with Bacon Cheese Potato Cups. Enjoy!
GARNISH: choose any of these to garnish the Dressed Up Sour Cream: a pinch of paprika; a little sliced green onion or chopped chives, a sprig of parsley or basil, etc.
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Crème Fraiche
Enjoy your Bacon Cheese Potato Cup appetizers! Share them with someone you like – a lot! (That way, you may save them one or two)
As always, if you give these Bacon Cheese Potato Cup appetizers a try, please come back and leave me a comment below with your feedback. You can find me on social media too. Be sure to tag @urbnspice and #urbnspice so I’m sure to see it. Enjoy!
The Urbnspice Chef
More Appetizer Ideas:
Arancini – Italian Risotto Balls