Cherry Season – everyone looks forward to it. Eating out of hand is likely the most popular past time as the plump cherries appear at the roadside stands. If you are lucky like me, you might have a daughter or an acquaintance with a cherry tree in their yard. Cherry Inspiration – let’s explore it.
Today also just happened to be National Chocolate Pudding Day and as an extra bonus, my grandchildren spent the morning with us. We had lots of fun making pudding together, then decided a great way to indulge delightfully would be to dip the cherries into the chocolate pudding! The little mixed chocolate pearls (crispearls) are from The Vanilla Food Company, one of my favourite pastry and baking supply stores.
If you happen to have an abundance of cherries, there are many ways to enjoy them: Cherry Jam; Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream; Cherry Crisp; Cherry Clafouti; Cherries Jubilee; Cherry Pie are a few ideas that come to mind.
An easy and delicious option is a cherry compote. It is a great way to preserve the fruit to enjoy all year around. I made a lovely Cherry Compote with dried cherries that I pair with a signature Duck Breast recipe.
More Cherry Inspiration
In our house, we make cherry compote and cherry-rhubarb compote to eat with fresh yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
For breakfast cherry inspiration, how about making Cherry Vanilla Bean Oatmeal? It is a wonderful way to start your day – garnish with whatever you like (I have given a few ideas below), and enjoy a warm bowlful of cherry inspired yumminess.
Cherry Vanilla Oatmeal
CHEF TALK: Cherry is used two ways in this delicious oatmeal. I use the Cherry compote that I made in this post or use cherry jam. Both flavour the oatmeal beautifully, and the addition of fresh cherries, when available makes this oatmeal very special. You can also use chopped dried cherries.
CHEF TIP: to infuse the flavour of the milk, add the dried cherries to the milk and oats when you are bringing the mixture to a boil. Vanilla Bean Paste or vanilla extract and almond extract pair very well with cherry.
- 1 3/4 cups milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats, or quick cooking oats
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cherry compote or cherry jam
- Milk, light cream or vanilla yogurt as necessary
- Bring the milk, oats, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the oats have reached the desired creamy consistency, stirring with a spatula to prevent sticking.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla bean paste, almond extract and cherry compote or cherry jam.
- To serve, add a little more milk or cream. Serve warm and enjoy!
- toasted sliced almonds or pecans
- toasted coconut
- a little more cherry compote or cherry jam
Enjoy the inspiration of cherry season!
Please CLICK the link above to access my UrbnSpice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Basic Tools: The Simple Spatula
- Vanilla Extract
Further Urb’n’Spice Inspiration:
Compote from this beautiful fruit paired with Rhubarb