This recipe for Caramelized Pineapple with Pistachios, Lime and Coconut is delightfully flavourful and simple to make. I have made many desserts that include the caramelization of apples, however; caramelizing pineapple is something that I have just started to do and I am very pleased with the result. It emphasizes the flavour of the pineapple! I have used coconut oil (also known as coconut butter), which caramelizes faster than butter and provides the added bonus of being dairy free. This recipe is a wonderful way to use a bit of leftover pineapple (or after making Pineapple Tepache) to make something uniquely delicious for breakfast or brunch or even as a healthy dessert option.
Caramelized Pineapple with Pistachios, Lime and Coconut
Yield: 2 – 4 servings
CHEF TALK: Use fresh or frozen pineapple for this recipe. I had several spears of frozen pineapple to use up. The technique in this recipe worked very well for the frozen fruit. You will note that I used coconut butter and coconut sugar in the recipe, but feel free to substitute butter, cane sugar or brown sugar. I have not tried canned (well drained) pineapple tidbits, however, I think that it would also work well. If you try canned pineapple tidbits, please let me know about your result. Alternatively, diced apple can be substituted for the pineapple if you use an apple that keeps its shape when cooked such as Granny Smith or Honey Crisp. This recipe is gluten free and dairy free – for refined sugar free, substitute maple syrup or honey for the coconut sugar.
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut butter or unsalted butter
- 2 cups diced pineapple (1/2 inch or smaller dice)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or cane sugar
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned (whole) oats
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons coconut shavings
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pistachios
- Using a large frying pan, melt the coconut butter over medium heat. Add the diced pineapple, coconut sugar and oats. Toss the mixture together to coat with the coconut butter.
- Stir the mixture until the pineapple and oats turn a golden colour (caramelize). Drizzle the mixture with lime juice and lime zest and allow the mixture to cool.
- To serve, sprinkle with coconut shavings and chopped toasted pistachios. Caramelized pineapple is delicious served with yogurt for breakfast, or try serving it on top of pannacotta for a delicious gluten-free dessert.
Please CLICK the link above to access my Urb’n’Spice LEARNING TIPS, which are listed alphabetically on the Learning Tips blog post under the following subheadings:
- Favourite Kitchen Tools: Spatula
You Might Also Enjoy these Urb’n’Spice recipes:
Caramelized Prune Plum Frangipane Galette
Dark Cherry Vanilla Dairy Free Ice Cream
Greek Yogurt Lemon and Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta
How to Make a Sour (Tart) Cherry Pie
If you try my recipe for Caramelized Pineapple with Pistachios, Lime and Coconut, please leave me a comment with your feedback. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
The Urb’n’Spice Chef
Follow me on Social Media
Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you Make my Recipe?
Tag me @urbnspice on Instagram and hashtag #urbnspice
Alisa Infanti says
I am a huge huge fan of carmelized pineapple and love that you have added coconut, pistachios and lime. All of my favourite dessert flavours in one!
Denise Pare-Watson says
Thanks, Alisa! I think you are going to love this dish! It is also great for breakfast over Greek Yogurt 🙂
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
Just in time! I saw pineapples on sale in the flyer for $1.97 so this caramelized pineapple needs to happen! Love how light and flavourful it is. Bet it’s so good over vanilla ice cream!!
Denise Pare-Watson says
Perfect timing! I am so glad, Dawn. I would love to hear what you think if you try this dish. 🙂