You may or may not know that this is National Soup Month and given the weather we have been experiencing, it can be a very welcome emphasis in our meal planning. This is Anna Olson’s recipe from The Soup Sisters Family Cookbook. Anna comments that making this hearty Cabbage Roll Soup is so much easier than making traditional cabbage rolls and it is every bit as tasty. Chunky soups such as this are always more delicious the second day. This soup also freezes very well.
Redpath Sugar has helped Canadian bakers for over 160 years. I am pleased to have the opportunity to review the new Redpath Canadian Bake Book. The book is a collection of favourite classic recipes originally brought to Canada from all corners of the world. The cookbook has tested and perfected recipes. This book has already become a favourite in my kitchen. The Redpath Canadian Bake Book has over 200 recipes that include cakes, breads, desserts, special occasion recipes, many baking tips and secrets, and even a section on confection, which makes this pastry chef very happy. One recipe in particular, Salted Vanilla Caramels, caught my eye. These delicious and very addictive caramels can be made easily and quickly in only 6 minutes in your microwave oven.
- The story of Redpath Sugar: the beginning, the history, the commitment to environmentally conscious sugar manufacturing.
- How Redpath crafts its sugar: I learned about the series of steps it takes to clean, filter, boil to the final crystal and drying stages.
- The Baker’s Kitchen: a detailed section outlining what it takes to be prepared for baking day: pantry stocking, refrigerator and freezer staples, must have equipment, and even how to test raising agents (yeast, baking powder, baking soda) for freshness.
For those who know me well, two things are quite clear. One, I love cookbooks and have an extensive collection. They are like treasured friends. Two, making soup is something that I love to do – several times a week. I welcomed the opportunity to review The Soup Sisters newest cookbook, “The Soup Sisters Family Cookbook – More Than 100 Family-Friendly Recipes To Make and share with Kids of All Ages”. I am pleased to share with you today one of their featured recipes called, “Tomato-Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic” which is an uncomplicated, fast and flavourful soup to make.
The recipes are categorized in the most interesting way:
- Garden Grown: Soups for all seasons where fresh vegetables take a starring role
- Magic Beans: Soups made with pulses (split peas, chickpeas, beans, lentils & more)
- Noodling Around: Soups stocked up with noodles and stuffed pasta
- The Main Event: Hearty Main Course Soups packed with chicken, beef, pork, fish or seafood
- Chill Out: Soups created to be eaten cold
Here is an example from each category:
- Autumn Pear (or Apple) and Parsnip Soup
- BLT: Bacon, Lentil and Tomato Soup
- Dragon Soup
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Roasted Okanagan Tomato Gazpacho